Monday, September 12, 2011

Who Thought up This Stuff?

Tonight I took the girls to play place at the mall to give them an outlet for their energy. As I watched Sophie climb on big spongy trucks and Liliana jump off of gigantic tunnels shaped like light bulbs, I wondered who in the world invented this stuff?

When I was a kid and you went to the store, you simply walked alongside your mom. Now kids have mini shopping carts at the grocery store and even a play area with pretend food and wall chalk. (This is what you find at the store up the street from our house. Liliana loves it when we go grocery shopping!)

Life as a kid is so much different. Gone are the days of having to sit perfectly still and quiet when in public. Now there are coloring books and activity walls and all sorts of goodies to entertain the kids.

I have to admit as a mom, it is nice having these luxuries so close to home. In the dead of winter, I am grateful for story times at the local Barnes and Noble where they have Clifford the Big Red Dog appear. Or when the library serves free donuts for the "Donuts with Dad" story hour.

Although I also want my girls to enjoy the calm of nature and to delight in sitting in the back yard and watching birds fly overhead, I am still very grateful for all the fun extras in our lives.
Thanks to whoever thought to put big sponge shaped objects outside the JC Penny's entrance. I am one grateful Mom!

No comments: