Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rainy Day

Now that I am sitting down to write, I remember one more thing that happened our first week here...

Liliana and I went out for a stroller ride to explore the neighborhoods around us. There's some lovely homes and landscaping and we were having a peaceful walk. All of a sudden I felt a few rain drops and realized that I had kind of gotten turned around and didn't quite know how to get back home. I picked up the pace and the rain picked up as well. About 100 yards away I noticed someone getting out of their car heading towards a soccer park, so I ran to catch them and ask them where the heck I was. I'm standing out in the rain with L, soaking wet while this nice lady gives me directions and welcomes me to Madison.

We start heading home and soon I hear thunder. I quicken my pace. More thunder. I am freaking out because the streets are all lined with lovely trees- great for getting struck by lightning. At first L was into the adventure, but as the thunder got louder and we got wetter she started to cry. I am a horrible runner and gym was my worse class in school.. I am all of a sudden getting flash backs of running the mile in jr high and coming in close to last place. However, I had my baby girl and needed to get home. I ran so fast up the hill back home that my chest hurt and I could feel my lungs aching. I had to stop several times to catch my breath and try to encourage L that we were almost home. I can only imagine what people driving by in their cars thought.. Who is the crazy lady taking her toddler for a walk in a thunderstorm? I would have thought the same thing.

We rounded the corner home and came inside. We peeled off our wet clothes, got dressed and found the biggest blanket we could to snuggle under. L's fingers were freezing, so we snuggled under a blanket and read books til bed time. Needless to say, directions aren't my strong point. :-)

No comments: