Wednesday, March 4, 2009

DELIGHT

The other day Chris told me that he delighted in me. He often affirms me, but there was something different about this particular compliment. It was a word of life that went deep into my core and something I find myself meditating on the next days to follow.

My concept of the word delight has changed since I have a daughter. When I am with her I find myself constantly pausing to declare how cute she is or to watch her and smile at what she does. Just seeing her walk around the house with her big cloth diaper butt sticking out or her hair that sprouts on one side when she wakes up from her nap brings me joy. At night, before Chris and I say our good night prayers, we talk about the cute things Liliana did that day and just delight in her together.

Then there’s her delight.. she finds joy in the simplest pleasures. A few days ago I took a bunch of her different colored socks and put them in a Ziploc bag and she had a ball taking the socks out, putting them back in. She played with it over and over again. I don’t know what the “Toy of the Year” was that they advertise in those parenting magazines, but I don’t think it held a candle to “Socks A La Ziploc”.

Then of course there is Jesus’ delight.. both His delight in me and my delight in Him. Often I’ll be driving or going about my day and just sense Jesus’ smile. What an amazing feeling and gift!

So, I am thankful for the word choice Chris used in expressing his love for me the other day. I still like to hear him say the standard, “I love you”, but “I delight in you” spoke such a fresh breath of life into my entire being. :-)

No comments: