Thursday, June 4, 2009

AIDS network

Today I went to an orientation meeting to begin volunteering with the AIDS network in Madison. I really hadn't given much thought to AIDS until last year when I went to Rwanda and met so many people that were HIV positive- many women and children. During the genocide, one of the ways they wanted to kill people was for soldiers who were HIV positive to rape women and thus spread their virus. What a cruel and awful tactic!

So, while we are still involved in work in Rwanda, I thought it would be good to get involved locally with AIDS patients.
The office is located on Willy St, which is where many homosexuals live and boasts of endless gay friendly shops- rainbows everywhere. There was a part of me that felt uncomfortable being there- not because I don't like gay people, but because I feel like gay people won't like me since I am a pastor by vocation. I guess "reverse discrimination". At the beginning of the orientation we had to tell why we were interested in volunteering. I explained my trip to Rwanda and the head guy was so impressed and wanted to hear more. So after it was over he asked me what organization I was with there and I said it was Vineyard, which is a church, there was a hint of disappointment in his voice. Oh well.

I think this is going to be a good, eye opening experience for me. I can't even begin to imagine the hurt and judgements that homosexuals have received from church people. You just feel the tension in the air when gay and Christian are used in the same sentence- on both ends. My desire is to be a learner- I believe the gay community has things to teach me and I want to learn. I want my love to grow and hopefully in turn offer love to those whom I will serve.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Love that you're doing this. When I worked at His House in Tyler, the guys who lived there were so wonderful to me. They always told me that they were surprised that since I was a Christian that I treated them with such kindness. That was so sad to me. It's disgusting to me, actually. It is something that the Church needs to remedy.