Thursday, July 29, 2010

Children's Illlustrations

I've been in some conversations lately about the subject of art, so it may be that it is on my mind.
Or it may be that Liliana is now past books that show photos of a banana with the word yellow underneath it.

Whatever it is, I find myself struck and impressed with children's book illustrators.

I am naturally in tune with the alliteration and rhyming patterns in kid's stories, which are fun. (Although I have run across the occassional lame book and wonder, Really, you are actually published and showcased in our library??)

However, I have no real artistic ability when it comes to drawing or painting, so maybe that is why I have much more appreciation for the graphics in these kids books. Yesterday, I was reading a new book about this girl's aunt who traveled from Budapest and Montreal. When I saw the Aunt, she was portrayed in such a fun way. I immediately wanted to sit down with this fictional woman and talk about her travels.

Then there's the classics that show such detail on each page. You can read the book dozens of times and still notice new details.

I have always liked going to the art museum or art shows to look at people's creativity. But now a whole new world of children's illustrations have been added to my appreciation.

No comments: