Thursday, September 17, 2009

Nana & Apple Pie




When Everybody Loves Raymond used to be on tv I loved watching that show and laughing at the extreme disfunction of that family. Yet at the same time I was very thankful that my mother in law is not like Marie Barone.

This past weekend Chris' mom came from Texas to visit us for a few days- to see where we now live, see our new church and see how much Liliana has grown. We had such a good time showing her around our city, taking her on some country roads to see the pretty landscape, playing with Liliana, eating some of the best Italian food ever and just hanging out.
I especially appreciated our last night together. Chris and Liliana were both in bed and Cathy and I were up talking. Our neighbor, Scott, knocked on our door about 9:30 with a plate of pipping hot apple pie he just made. Scott just graduated from college in May and is your typical frat, jock type of guy. However, he has this hidden baking talent. The past two Thanksgivings he has helped his grandma make apple pies, so has learned how to make flaky crusts. He was proud of his home made pie and wanted to share some with us. So Cathy & I stayed up til midnight eating pie and just sharing a heart to heart talk. Every time she visits we somehow end up having these long talks. Chris' mom and dad pastor a church in Texas, so I think she feels like there are not too many people she can open up to about her life. She must feel the freedom to share with me and know I will listen. And I want to be that for her.
(& I have to say Scott's apple pie was DELICIOUS!)

Great weekend and we can't wait til next time when PaPa can come too!

No comments: