Thursday, September 2, 2010

Wednesdays with Walt

We started this family tradition several weeks ago.
On Wednesday nights we make home made pizza. Liliana has her own mini rolling pin and pizza pan so she can help. Then we watch a Walt Disney movie together. I realized that there are several classics I have never seen or have completely forgotten about the story line. Plus, there are some fun new ones out there.


Week 1- PRINCESS and the FROG


First of all, I loved how they tied in the culture of New Orleans and Louisiana into this movie. The music was fun and dynamic. I also like the fact that the princess was African American and loved to cook!




Also, even though I don't promote voodoo, every movie has evil portrayed in one sense or another. I thought it was clever using that to portray the evil, again reinforcing the culture of the movie. (Although we had to fast forward part of that so Liliana wouldn't be scared) All in all I was totally impressed with how the culture came through this film. I love anything diverse and cultural, so it was easy for me to like it.

And.. after all that New Orleans has been through in the past few years, it was great to see a movie that celebrates the city and culture there.

I know this has nothing to do with the plot or characters. But I was impressed with the setting in this film and enjoyed it.

No comments: