Friday, May 21, 2010

Culture of Kindness

Chris came home from Panera with a card for our family. Inside we found a $50 gift card to Target from one of his customers.
How kind is that?

It made me think of the customers at our family restaurant growing up. Every year for Christmas, our house would be full of gifts and baked goods from our regular customers. Right around the second week of December, I would get so excited for my dad to come home each night bearing gifts. ( Of course the night he showed up with the fruit cake was a bit of a let down.)

Also this week I received a post card. In the age of technology, anything hand written screams of thoughtfulness. Taking time to buy a post card, write it out, get a stamp and mail it. Huge deal to me.

I wonder if this culture of kindness is dying off, but then something like this happens and it revives my hope. I for one am a huge fan of the c of k. It makes life special and reminds us of goodness.

2 comments:

Robin said...

i love this. jeremy and i were just remembering our days working at starbucks and how several of our regular customers would just randomly hand us a $20 bill every once in a while. And when my dad passed away, the regulars found out and collected money to pay for a whole month's rent for me since I was out of work so much. It blew me away and is something I'll never forget.

Tina said...

That is amazing Robin!