Friday, March 12, 2010

Benedictine Women

This upcoming Sunday afternoon I am going to a local monastery for a solitude retreat. It will be my 3rd year to do this and I am very much looking forward to it.

When Chris and I were in school, one of our lectures was on spiritual formation. We were exposed to this idea of taking time at least once a year for a 24 hour period of solitude and prayer reflection. It was a great idea and so I did an internet search on Catholic societies that offer this kind of stuff. I was surprised at how many I found. I was also surprised at how LOONG 24 hours is when you are by yourself in prayer and reflection. As with any new spiritual formation, it takes some getting used to.

Year 1- The theme turned out to be ABIDING. There was a song out at the time that resonated with my heart and my reflection time "Keep my eyes fixed on you, please root my heart deep in you, Keep me abiding that I may bear fruit"

I spent time thinking about what a fruitful life looks like and what it means to abide in Christ.

Year 2- SEASONS. I brought a suitcase full of all my journals I have kept- from teenage years to the present. It was so amazing to see the thread of all God has done in my life and reflecting on the various seasons of my life.

Year 3- We shall see.

My life is full now with an active toddler and church life, so I am looking forward to lots of down time to read, journal and re-align myself.

No comments: