Monday, March 8, 2010

La Baguette

There is a French bakery near our apartment. I never went in because I figured it was one of those American places who try to act French and hang pictures of the Eiffel Tower and serve croissants.

Last week Chris decided to take Liliana there on their Daddy/Daughter date and came home raving about it. So I went.

I walked in and it completely reminded me of a bakery from France. Family run business, so you had the dad baking in the back, the mom running the register and their little girl getting napkins for customers out in the cafe area. Their 2 older kids came from school and they all were talking French to one another. (Or rather the older brother was yelling at his little sister Charlotte for roller blading in the cafe area. There is something charming about seeing siblings fight in French)

As I sat there enjoying my amazing coffee, I think every francophone in Madison came in and of course placed their order in French. The phone rang.. and they carried on their conversation in French. It was an amazing experience, right in the suburbs of Madison.

I can't wait to go back and try the pear tart. Looked delicious!

No comments: